Employees: Are you being paid all your superannuation entitlements?

What do you do if you think your employer is not paying your super?

If you think your employer is not paying you enough or any of your super, Tax Office will take action and investigate your unpaid super enquiry. 

First of all, you should talk to your employer and ask them how often they are currently paying your super, which fund they are paying it and how much they are paying. It is a good idea to bring up this topic when you start work with an employer.

Then you can check your last Member Statement from your super fund, or contact them to confirm if you employer has paid your super.

If you have completed the above procedures and still believe that your employer is not paying enough or any super, and/or is not paying the super to your chosen fund, you can lodge an enquiry about unpaid super by

Once you lodge an enquiry about unpaid super online or via phone, the Tax Office will generally ask questions such as:

  • Your contact details and whether you give permission for us to use your name when contacting your employer.
  • Your employer’s contact details (including business address)
  • Your employer’s ABN
  • The nature of your current employment arrangement, including when you started employment with your employer, and
  • Details of the particular superannuation problem (when the issued started and ended, including the month and year).

Your will also need to provide information on whether you

  • were paid at least $450 gross pay in a month
  • Checked with your employer and super fund if any super has been paid
  • Were offered choice of super fund form to complete. If so, we will need the date the form was provided.
  • Checked if your super has been paid to your chosen fund, and
  • Checked if your choice of super fund request was actioned by your employer.

Once you do lodge a query, the Tax Office will keep you updated about the progress of your case by letter.

This article has been prepared for the purposes of general information and guidance only. It should not be used for specific advice or used for formulating decisions under any circumstances. If you would like specific advice about your own personal circumstances please contact our office.