We use Google and the internet as a valuable research tool in almost all our forensic accounting litigation matters. The information available enables us to check the stories of both the plaintiff and defendant against other sources of information.
Financial Statements tell a story
As forensic accountants, one of the first places we examine is the financial statements and income tax returns. To us they tell a story. The financial statements are a record of all the transactions of the business. We examine the trends and ratios of a business –
- Are they consistent with a business of this type?
- Are they consistent with the alleged activities and events of the parties?
- Is there cash not being declared?
- How is the business financed?
- Is the growth or decline of the business consistent with other ratios and transactions in the business?
Use of the Internet as a Research Tool.
Once we have examined the alleged facts and the financial statements, we look to the internet to provide us with further confirmation of the facts and financial statements. The following is available on the internet:
A simple google search of the individuals and the companies involved. We have found the following from a simple searches that only take a few minutes: